If one of your loved ones has passed away, you might want to have their mail forwarded. If you are going to be selling their old home, you will want to make sure that the new resident won’t be receiving their old mail. Here’s what you should do if you need to forward the mail of a deceased relative.

Head To The Post Office

If you want to have mail forwarded, the first thing you will want to do is visit the post office. At the post office, you will be able to find a change of address form. You should be able to fill out the form on behalf of your loved one.

You can pick up a change of address form at any post office. Take the time to see when the post offices in your area are open. Stop by the post office when you can and pick up the form that you need.

Filling Out A Change Of Address Form Online

If you don’t have the time to get to the post office, you have the option of filling out your change of address form online instead. This can be helpful if you don’t have a lot of time, or if the post office is only open when you are at work.

If you do wind up filling out this form online, you will have to pay a fee. Thankfully, this fee is very small. Look into completing this form online and see if this is something that you would like to do.

Decide Where You Would Like To Have Mail Forwarded

If you are going to have mail forwarded, you are going to have to decide where that mail should be forwarded to. You will probably want to have the mail sent to either your home or the home of another family member.

Even if your relative is deceased, you aren’t going to want to open their mail yourself. With that said, you will want to make sure that their mail is properly disposed of. If you have their mail forwarded, you can make sure that no one else is able to use your loved one’s information for identity theft.

Other Steps That You Should Take

The post office isn’t going to be able to forward mail forever. Because of this, you should contact the companies that are sending mail to your loved one. Let them know that they should cease sending usps change of address permanent mail to this address.

You should take the time to cancel accounts that were in your loved one’s name. Although this can be a long and drawn out process, you should eventually be able to get this taken care of. Eventually, your loved one will stop receiving new mail.

Losing a loved one can be overwhelming. Thankfully, having the mail of a deceased relative forwarded isn’t a very difficult process. As long as you’re willing to listen to the advice listed above, you should be able to get this situation taken care of.